Skip to main content

Seeking Mr Right in Nha Trang, Vietnam

We ended up in Nha Trang, Vietnam entirely on a 'that looks nice' decision looking at the Luxury Escapes website. Outside of Australia, you may not know Luxury Escapes. It’s an Australian company offering affordable luxury in high-end hotels usually in destinations which need their profile building.

I barely knew of the coastal resort of Nha Trang 
despite it being known as the Riviera of the South China Sea.


It’s a part of South Vietnam that is about to explode as a destination judging by the mass of property development. It has a very pretty six-kilometre stretch of white sandy beaches, with abundant marine life, in a huge bay with nineteen islands to explore and a mountainous backdrop. 

It is well discovered amongst Russians and the Chinese but our circle of friends we less impressed, preferring Da Nang or the more historic Hanoi.  So it was with slight trepidation that we arrive a Nha Trang, a one hour flight from Ho Chi Ming City. We could see immediately the Russian influence as the first tour brochure we see is written in Russian. 



Goodo! It's time for Mr Wren to brush up on his schoolboy Russian 
in advance of our trip to the World Cup Soccer next year! 

Moi, the only Russian I know is Saransk - that well known holiday spot, not. It's where we have tickets for to watch Denmark Vs Peru play football next June 2018... A long story. I have written about it in my blog post From Russia With Love if you are intrigued to know more! 


Our resort was about 20kms out of Nha Trang, on the aptly named Long Beach and idyllically picturesque as you can see from the photos. It was pouring with rain when we arrived and pleasantly cool after Bangkok’s oppressive humidity. Happy days. 

We arrive to be told we are sharing the resort with a German film crew and no, they are not filming Survivor. It was all terribly hush-hush so I won't spill the beans except to say that the last three girls were in another resort. 

I spent my entire time looking for Mr Right, saying to Mr Wren "do you think that's him?!" or "I think I just saw him, he's gorgeous!"



Having said that, The Anan resort does tend to attract lots of beautiful people... so it was quite tricky to spot ‘the one’! Except that you could easily rule out most Aussies on our Luxury Escapes breaks, I speak for ourselves when I say we're never the most stylish. 

Unlike the Russians, they are Lavish with a capital L. Wow those women have legs that go up all the way to the International Space Station.  Happily for me, often they were accompanied by men with big beer bellies, or maybe we're talking vodka? Anyway, the Russian men (this is an unfair generalisation I know, but for the point of my story, bear with me) were, let's just say were unlikely to be the one wandering around with a single red rose, looking for the woman of their dreams. 



But I was trying to meet Russians. I was on a ‘let's meet some Russians from Saransk kick!’ 

'Anyone from Saransk?' I kept wanting to ask? 
 Or 'Anyone heard of Saransk?' 
Or finally in desperation '... Should I even be going to Saransk?!'

Our hotel is wonderfully cosmopolitan, I love seeing what others do on holiday! Let me tell you about the Chinese who come to breakfast in their bathrobes.  The Anan is all about kick off your shoes and relax and who doesn't love to wear their hotel bathrobes on holiday? Actually, this hotel was so lux, there were two bathrobes in the wardrobe. One for the bathroom and one for wearing out and about. I kid you not. That's what I call really posh. 

So back to the Germans. We are completely surrounded by German TV Production crew it's so exciting, and it's like the world's worst kept secret what they are doing. We keep getting vague messages under the door at night

Due to production filming, we regret to inform you the Spa will be closed tomorrow!’

Due to production filming, the Germans have taken over the entire South China Sea 
and beach front on Sunday…
Noooo they didn't say exactly this, but they were filming down by the beach!

I tell you, these girls are going to have a lovely visit even if they don't go home with Mr Right. This is some beach.


And the rest of us? 
Well, we didn't really mind, it was all in the name of love,  
and after all, there is always the pool. which I think you'll agree was none too shabby





Did I find my Mr or Mrs Saransk? Did I never. Really I can only hope that the entire population of Saransk is staying home to prepare to the excitable masses of Danish and Peruvian fans, and us, about to descend on their city!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat