Skip to main content

Orchid Queen at the races!

They're off today at the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. 
It's horse racing Bangkok style.

We decided to walk there from our new apartment, an easy twenty-minute walk, well it would be if it wasn't so hot. 

Mad dogs and Englishmen and all that... 
We've regretted this decision by the time we walked down the first Soi. 


Luckily, it's Sunday and the roads in our neighbourhood, primarily a central business and embassy district, are very much quieter than normal. 

Just us and a few hundred thousand wires and no traffic jam - Yay! 



The racetrack runs around the edge of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. It's the only racecourse I've been to that has golfers playing in the middle. Mr Wren
mutters something about how he wouldn't have the confidence to hit a ball with both a full grandstand and the line-up of valuable thoroughbreds galloping round the outside!


Once inside the Club, we're not conforming to the dress code which is long trousers for men and blue, black or grey colours as a mark of respect for the late King, as Thailand is still in a period of mourning. We are looking quite a sight by this stage dripping in sweat, despite lots of dabbing of our foreheads.



Even given our 'spot the newbies who haven't acclimatised yet' appearance, the locals are terribly polite and no-one seems to stop us. We find ourselves track side, amongst the journalists and caddies waiting to cross the course. The stands are full, and there appear to be good beer sales, the crowd roars with enthusiasm, as the horses thunder past. The perfect grass course is declared fast unlike their loading of the horses into the starting stalls.



The horses are held for an inordinate amount of time in the starting stalls and Mr Wren wanders off to check out the delay on the television screens. The race is already twenty-five minutes behind schedule, we smile. This would never happen at the Victorian Racing Club, in Melbourne.

Looking at the line-up, one of the horses, waiting to race in the starting stalls is Orchid Queen. One of the Journo's tells us she's good. 

"Quick, get a 100 Baht on that one", I suggest. 

Orchid Queen!
Remember our visit last weekend to the Orchid Farm? Well, bless her, number 10 Orchid Queen thunders home a short head in front. But wait, a stewards enquiry involving three horses. Our new Journo mate tells us we'll be right and we were. I'm off to pick up my winnings! She was 9-1, shame I only bet 100 Baht!

Still, I'm doing well this week, earlier in the week I'd won two British Airways flight tickets to the UK, how good is that? Maybe I should go for third time lucky and buy a lottery ticket!


Linking thanks to Darren at Photolife for My Sunday Photo 
and to all the hosts at Our World Tuesday


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat