Skip to main content

Keep Calm And Birthday On!

So far I'm onto my fourth country celebrating my birthday. Usually, I don't fuss much about birthdays, I'm not one for the big girls night out, or to treat myself with a big splurge...  

But this year is different. I've moved country. I now have a new visa in my passport enabling me to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand until May 2018. I'm away from the kids and the dog and Mr Wren looked at his work calendar, scratched his head and declared a meeting with dinner on my birthday.


I thought for a moment about pulling the old 'I can't believe you've got a meeting with dinner on my birthday AND it's International Women's Day' complaint, but wait a moment, no... That's a perfect excuse to celebrate with everyone, everywhere! 

'Hey, but I thought you said 
you never bothered much about birthdays...'

I can hear him call out as I am part way to booking a flight to Malaysia and using all his Airmiles for a return trip to the UK!


He's right, I've never made a fuss about birthdays, but that doesn't mean I never will. It's not a special birthday, except that it is a special birthday because everything's different...

Well, no worries. You can't keep a good Wren down and all that and if it's going to be, it's up to me... and so with a little help from my family and friends, including Mr Wren, who is now forgiven as he has given me the best birthday ever! Here is a run down on my amazing birthday week!

1. So this time last week I was cheering on my favourite tennis player, Irina Falconi at the Malaysian Open, exploring Kuala Lumpur and having a massive watermelon cocktail! Yes I know I hardly ever drink, but it's blooming thirsty work being the US official cheer squad, especially when the opponent is an on-fire Aussie, who eventually wins both the singles and doubles tournament. 


2. Then it was back to Bangkok for a few days. We celebrated my birthday early at an amazing restaurant with an opera singer between courses, not your traditional Thai restaurant, but a chance for me to forget my new Sweaty Betty lifestyle and pretend to be cultured. Even if I had to arrive in my flat shoes as you can't walk anywhere in high heels in Bangkok unless it's indoors on a nice smooth shopping centre or posh hotel floor!

3. Next, I ended up passing through Hong Kong, having just enjoyed the upgrade to Business Class hence the champagne. Thanks, Cathay Pacific and I didn't even mention my birthday. That flight was two hours of stretching out because you can, you know pushing every button and seeing how many ways you can get the chair to recline. Until the air hostess appears at my seat with her jolly "you called" voice... Oops did I?

I'm loving this life and having sadly been thrown off the plane for my connection in Hong Kong, I'm at the Tom Ford counter buying a ridiculously expensive replacement for my four-year-old Boots No 7 lippy! Well, it's my birthday splurge... 

I like the Tom Ford brand he describes the Tom Ford customers as "international, cultured, well travelled and possessing disposable income... for females" he adds: 


"strong women, ... intelligent women,
 who know how to enjoy their birthdays". 

Noo, he didn't,  I added that bit.

I only knew what he meant about having the disposable income once I'd done the currency conversion! Hmmm, maybe I'm not a typical Tom Fordie after all! Oops too late.



4. So final stop the UK and it's "fresh" here as the lady in front of me on the plane called it as we disembarked the aircraft. 

"Oh yes, it is and it's wonderful all that fresh, fresh air!" 

I sang as I leapt off the plane. Oh my golly, gosh what a massive relief to be back in all that cool air! So finally time to catch up with Mum and Dad and have a little time to stop and smell the daffs!


5. Then last but not least, someone else had a birthday this week. Our Crazy Poodle turned eight. He must have been having a lot of birthday cake because he put on over half a kilo in weight, this week. So clearly, he's back to being on good form after his illness: Happy Birthday Big Boy! I'm missing you, even if you're not missing us!


Thanks to everyone who has made my birthday so special and for all the lovely Happy Birthday messages on my Little Wren Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages! It has meant a lot.


Love, Wren x


Linking with Five on Friday 
thanks to Amy at Love Made My Home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat