Skip to main content

Yea Valley - Upper Goulburn, Victoria



The chances are that if you're visiting Melbourne, you might take a day trip to the beautiful Yarra Valley, but have you been to the stunning Yea Valley?

It would be easy to miss the Yea Valley in Upper Goulburn and indeed we did not set off intending to stop for lunch at Sedona Estate, Murrindindi. But if ever there was a place was calling out to be appreciated by the passing tourist, it is this delightful pocket of Victoria.

Today I can't wait to show you what we found, 
it was one of the most magical moments of my April A to Z Challenge travels.

We're going to the Yea Valley - Yay!

Artisan gourmet platter, Sedona Estate
Just to set the scene Mr. Wren and I have set off Wandering Victoria* for a weekend in the King Valley. The criteria are simple. We needed somewhere we'd never been, and were in search of any towns en-route beginning with any letters of the alphabet needed for my remaining blog posts. I know totally random or what?! 

Luckily my supportive husband is happy to indulge my wanderlust if it means he gets to drive his new red car and it offers some potential for returning home with a bootful of wine. 

Except that, Murrindindi is no good as I have already included M is for Marysville....

Whoah - watch out this brand new car has never been off-piste before!
So it was just a pure 'let's have a look' whim that we decide to turn off from the Melba Highway, onto the dusty, dirt track of Shannons Road. As we drive past the cow paddocks and fields of large round hay bales, against the backdrop of lush, green rolling hills, we knew we were off to somewhere pretty special.


Imagine our delight when there is a pot of gold, or a vineyard with 'Open' sign, at the end of the drive. We have arrived at the impeccably maintained, Sedona Estate and are immediately intrigued by some of the fascinating sculptures on display.


Before long we are welcomed inside and are enjoying a wine tasting session with Winemaker Paul Evans, who appears to have just dropped everything to make us feel welcome. Mr Wren is in seventh heaven, they chatter away as if they have been mates for a long time - they speak the same language. 


Moi, who hardly knows her Shiraz from her Sangiovese, okay, okay, I have no clue, leaves them to it, and pops outside to enjoy the autumn sunshine and admire more of the scenery. Paul's son is riding his bicycle up and down and a Border Collie dog runs back and forth, I can't help thinking what an idyllic spot to bring up children. By the time, Paul's Mother stops and we share our English connections, we feel like we are amongst old friends.


Back inside the wine tasting is complete. Mr Wren is so impressed with the quality of these distinctive wines that we immediately sign up as Sedona Wine Club members. Which means we get to choose a case of wine to take home with us - Yay, Yea!

Over a delicious cheese platter lunch of local products we ponder and choose our first case of wine to take home. 



Let's get some Sangiovese, I say! 
I love the way 'the bouquet of cherry blossom, the palate with all the seduction of a young, high-quality pinot noir red cherries, sit in a silken web...

Ha! I nearly carry it off 
until I am caught reading from the James Halliday 5 star tasting notes.

Another car arrives, packed with those in the know, and our private wine-tasting luncheon at Sedona Estate is over. We leave with the wine bottles carefully loaded in the back of the car to be enjoyed on another day.

What a find, we can't wait for our next case, of course, they will deliver
but where's the fun in that? We'll be back!

Thank you for joining me on my Wander Victoria* April A to Z Challenge 
and for all the encouragement along the way, it means a lot. 
Last day tomorrow with Z!



PS: * Wander Victoria is an initiative of our Victorian State Government to encourage us to explore the charms of regional Victoria. You can find out more on my previous post here.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat