Skip to main content

Castlemaine

... a small town city, rich in history




Okay after two days getting to know each other, I think we're ready for our first road trip together. I've had to order a bigger bus as we welcome today Neesie, Gosia, Terra and Nancy who are joining us. I've chosen the cute town well, it's actually a small city, of Castlemaine 125 km North West from Melbourne in central Victoria. 


I think it will be a great introduction to country Victoria. 
It has a rich history founded on gold, I knew that you'd like that.



You see Australia was really just an outpost for convicts until in a gentle wooded valley, gold was found and then boy did the world take note. It wasn't just for rough cut blokes, sheilas and convicts, this faraway corner of the world suddenly had pulling power. 

From 1851 onwards the population of Victoria exploded.  Diggers came from all over the world. Fossicking and prospecting became the order of the day and they were rewarded with finds of some of the world's largest gold nuggets.


Modern day Castlemaine
Castlemaine's gold was near the surface, it was amongst the earliest found in Victoria, but was also the first depleted. Which means that it's importance in gold rush terms was not as significant as the bigger cities of Ballarat and Bendigo.

With gold came prosperity, and with prosperity came the legacy of some magnificent buildings and churches...


The Empyre Hotel originally build as the Albion Hotel in the late 1800's
... and one of regional Victoria's loveliest public gardens. 


Castlemaine Botanical Gardens
Fast forward one hundred and fifty years plus 
and you find a town which has survived the post-goldrush demise,  
yet still maintained a lot of its olde worlde charms.

Today Castlemaine is a thriving centre for agriculture, arts and gastronomy. 

So let's start with a drink and make a plan! 
I know a lovely little place it's a taste of Vienna...
I'm thinking this sort of eatery will appeal to Sami, Carie-Anne, Ashmita and Jill?


So just in case you are a tad confused about whether we are in Austria or Australia
let me reassure you this is very much in the heart of Australia!
A wander through some of the many interesting shops will prove this.

Koalas at the Restorers Barn
So now that we have a plan let's start with a tour of the city centre 
to admire many more of these fabulous historic buildings...


Of course, what I love is the contrasts between the grand and the simple miners cottages and historic farm homesteads. 
Cow Poo for sale!
Whilst we are passing let me take you into the Restorers Barn, 
I particularly wanted to show this to Carol, Jeanie, Cynthia, Bette and Mary-Anne
I'm sure we can all enjoy a quick poke around spotting things we recognise from our own youths and things we don't!


Restorers Barn
Perhaps now is a good time to pop into the Castlemaine Botanical Gardens, which are among the earliest of Victoria’s  provincial botanic gardens. They have recently had a multi-million dollar upgrade to paths, playgrounds and toilets. From previous blogs, I know these spectacular gardens this will be appreciated by Karen, Amalia and Lady Fi!


Castlemaine Botanical Gardens
Other than this, 
I reckon not much has changed since the first curator was appointed in 1866. 
Except that the acorns have grown into splendid oak trees! 





We must make some time for the Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park on the edge of town. Which gives us plenty of opportunity to walk off lunch and for Eileen and Margaret to do some bird spotting. 


The Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park

Well I think we'll leave it here for today at

 Castlemaine - like stepping back in time, with all mod cons! 

I do hope you have enjoyed our little wander?


It has been lovely to have so many blogger friends join me on our virtual Wander Victoria* tour. If you want to join tomorrow leave me a message either below or via e-mail and I will include you in tomorrow's commentary. 

Tomorrow we're off on a yoga retreat to a Spa Town. Please wear loose comfy clothes and make sure you are up bright and early with your best singing voices!
Ommmmmmm..

PS: Wander Victoria is an initiative of our Victorian State Government to encourage us to explore the charms of regional Victoria. You can find out more on my previous post here

Linking with Our World Tuesday, thanks to all the hosts


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat