Skip to main content

Bolin Bolin Billabong, Bulleen,


Today I wanted to take you out bush and if you're lucky maybe we can find some Bush Tucker food. "The bush" is a term used for rural, undeveloped land or country areas in Australia. However, today I am going to cheat and take you to a favourite place of mine the 

Bolin Bolin Billabong in Bulleen. 

I love this walk for its tranquil and secluded nature despite being surprisingly close to suburbia. And, I'm sure for those of you joining me for my A to Z challenge will agree, it also has a wonderful amount of B's!

Bulleen Park sculpture inspired by eucalypt blossoms.
It feels important early on in my 'Wandering Victoria' posts for an Acknowledgement to Country*' to show respect for the traditional custodians of the land in which we will be travelling. 

Acknowledgement to Country
I know, I know, what you're thinking, why the Banksia, didn't she do that on A is for... Aboriginal Elder? Me too! Anyway moving swiftly on, let me show you this area of inspirational natural beauty on the banks of the Yarra river.

Banksia
A billabong is a lake or pond caused when a river, in this case, Melbourne's famous Yarra river changes course. The Yarra river's aboriginal name is Birrarung meaning ever-flowing. 

Yarra River in Bulleen Park
Bolin Bolin Billabong was the largest lake/billabong in the area and it has long been an important site as a meeting place for the Kulin Nation.  They say that food was rich and plentiful, with sufficient fish, eels and ducks in easy supply to feed those attending the great ceremonies. The area was considered a sacred site and up to 1000 people would gather for up to four or five weeks.

The Yarra river starts in the Yarra Valley, winds through Melbourne and ends at Port Phillip Bay
Today the area is a peaceful walk and one of my favourite with the Crazy Poodle as he can run the whole way round off lead. 



As we walk in the shade of the old river gums, we can hear the birds although we don't often get to spot them... There is something magical though if we do spot a kookaburra 'sitting in the old gum tree' as the words of our famous Aussie song by Marion Sinclair goes:


'Kookaburra sits in the old Gum tree
Merry, merry King of the bush is he.
Laugh! Kookaburra laugh
Gay your life must be'

Old red river gum trees

The gum or eucalyptus tree is the most common tree found in Australia. 

With the dog, I don't often come across wildlife. I am always watchful of him as the area is prone to snakes. We did come across this fellow the other day, which left the Crazy Poodle a trembling mess!

Goanna
They say that if you're in tune with such things you can feel the history of the place come alive. You can sense the magic, imagine the area full of Wurundjeri
Indigenous people as you walk in their footsteps.
Bolin Bolin Billabong

Here is a map of the area. It's been lovely to have you all along for the ride
Thank you all for your lovely comments and e-mails!

Start and finish Bulleen Park, 175 Bulleen Road, Bulleen, Vic, Australia 
It is lovely to have you here, especially for the newbies and Bette ticking off another place on her bucket list. Good job Margaret has brought her binoculars to spot some more wildlife and a good lunch spot for that open sarnie! Cynthia, you're looking lovely in your swimmers and polka dot wellies, would you like a swim? Ashmita I know you're hungry and I'm sorry that we haven't found much in the way of bush tucker today, but lucky us to have had Sami bring along her avocado mousse. Jill, great to have another Aussie here, please chip in anything I have missed? Eileen, I knew you'd love the Koala, he's there just for you! :) Fiona you are always so lovely about my photos, thank you for stopping by as I know you are away travelling! Karen, you doing well that's two out of two, I'm impressed always lovely to have you here, my friend :)


I have been participating in the Blogging from A-Z
Other participants can be found here.
See you on Monday with C is for... 

PS: Wander Victoria is an initiative of our Victorian State Government to encourage us to explore the charms of regional Victoria. You can find out more on my previous post here

The traditional  'Welcome to Country' conducted by an Aboriginal Elder or Acknowledgement of Country’ conducted by is a way that all people can show awareness and respect for Aboriginal culture and heritage and the ongoing relationship the traditional owners have with their land [1].


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat