Skip to main content

When two worlds collide...

'Everybody's looking for a new horizon 

Everybody wants to leave the world behind them'

Delta Goodrem Wings


Footscray street art
I’ve been running on adrenalin, limited sleep, and a load of beautiful Ethiopian coffee from the Addis coffee shop, next to our Centre. I’ve got a rash, itchy like a million mossie bites across my body. It’s some allergic reaction. I’ve been overdosing on chick peas and ha, I wonder if that’s the cause?! 

We get free lunches and dinners at work, a bunch of amazing volunteers collect donated food from around Melbourne and cook up a feast. On Wednesday nights when we work till 8pm, our Members cook for everyone. Our Members are Asylum Seekers. 

I’ve been eating a lot of chick peas! I’ve been doing a lot of work :)

'Everybody's looking for a new horizon
Everybody's looking for a second chance' 

I now work in the not-for-profit sector. After years of working in a corporate environment, and many more as a stay at home Mum, albeit one who has always given freely of my time to volunteer in a variety of roles, this job landed in my lap. 

Initially it was for 8 days in August. I was a struggling to find eight free days in my busy agenda. Having just returned from my overseas trip, life was busy with catch up appointments, the car to be serviced, yoga, the dentist, pilates, the dog needed a trip to the groomers, coffee with friends…. 

I found eight days.

I worked one day: 
Can you work until the end of the year?!' 
'Whaaaaat?'
 I had trips to New Zealand, Hong Kong, China and Sydney all lined up.
  
Of course, of course' …

So I have been nudged back into the world of work. Mr Wren is pleased. For years he’s talked about me going back to work … 

‘If you could just earn enough for the holidays’ he used to say…. 
No I’m busy! I’ve got yoga and pilates and….’

If truth be known, I have loved my volunteering. It was my way of giving back in the world, with no strings attached. Whether it was at the school, or at the soccer club, or with Asylum Seekers, having no employment contact gave me options. Like my time is my own. I can travel with my husband, I can disappear back to Europe to see my family for three months… I am free. 

I wasn’t sure I wanted paid work, I was happy being one of over 1000 volunteers who support in our organisation, who turn up week in, week out for the joy of making a difference, oh and the lunch is good too! Paid work for me is a tie, it takes away my flexibility as Little Wandering Wren. It means I can’t have wings.

The contrast with our Members lives is not lost on me. Not everyone seeking asylum gets work rights, some are living with no work rights, no study rights, no Medicare rights. Work for Asylum Seekers is not a tie, it gives them options, it means they can fly.

'Everybody's wishing they could take a stand
Everybody's looking for a second chance...'

There’s a song by Delta Goodrem at the moment. It is a love song. It talks about two worlds colliding. I often think about how I ended up my world colliding with those of those seeking asylum. 

The great wanderer who is constantly on the look out to travel, and for change, and those who are striving for stability, to stay put. 

The majority of my friends will never have met an Asylum Seeker. Everyone has an opinion, a view. I am in the thick of it…

'What if I lose my self control

What if I choose to let it go

I want to let you and me collide

Baby these wings were made

These wings were made to fly, la la la

Fly, la la la

Fly, la la la'


At my desk, my mobile phone flashes a message: 


‘Mum, we’ve got no bread or milk’

Good, I think!

I text back "welcome to my world"

Linking with Sono-ography 
Hosted by You'll shoot your eye out






Everybody's looking for a new horizon
Everybody wants to leave the world behind them
Everybody's looking for a new horizon
Everybody's looking for a second chance
Everybody's wishing they could take a stand
Everybody's looking for a second chance
What if I lose my self control
What if I choose to let it go
I want to let you and me collide
Baby these wings were made
These wings were made to fly, la la la
Fly, la la la
Fly, la la la
These wings were made to
Fly, la la la
Fly, la la la
Fly, la la la
Fly, la la la
Fly, la la la
Fly, la la la
Fly, la la la
Fly, la la la

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat