Skip to main content

Lotus Leaf Painting

I can't tell you how excited I was to be painting lotus leaves in Bangkok!

Yes, moi who looks enviously at all my arty friends 
with a 'I wish I could paint!' longing, 
has found my inner creative!

With a little help from my new found friends at Himapan Gallery
here I am about to 'show and tell' with you my latest artwork, 
and anyone can do this!



Let's backtrack just a little.
I'm in Bangkok, my husband is busy with work 
morning, noon and night. 
So having visited Bangkok many times,
I was looking for something different to fill my days.
A quick internet search and I found the Himapan Gallery.
Who are doing a roaring trade to mostly expats
 with lotus leaf painting workshops.



The lotus leaves were an almost perfect match for what I needed at home.
I'd had had an interior decorator suggest that 
I bring the garden indoors by throwing open the bi-fold doors 
and adding some garden style artwork to the interior,
 even suggesting a palm tree, or the like on the wall

Which is a lovely idea 
except that I don't live in tropical north Queensland,
 I live in Melbourne, Australia. 

A palm tree is about as common here as a banana plant!


But, as frequent visitors to this blog will know,
 I do have a pond with a water lily that blooms,
and although a water lotus and water lily are different 


it's same, same but different! 


When I arrive at the gallery instructions are in full swing.
I join a group of lovely Japanese women to learn the techniques.
We are given the choice of using oil or acrylic paints.

Our class is taught by the wonderful owner Catherine
who shows us what to do.
It all looks pretty straightforward
paint or sponge on the colour, 
highlight with bronze, gold, silver as you like,
varnish 
and after a few days your painting is ready to take home.

I choose to work with acrylic paint because it's quick drying 
and I only have five days in Bangkok.



I did think about oils 
especially after my ears prick up as Catherine tells us
"and if you make a little mistake, 
I give you a little alcohol"
her perfect English has just a hint of her French accent.

They have truly thought of everything here
I love the way they will correct any errors...

I'm brought back to earth with a 
'Can I get you a tea or coffee?'
Her husband Teck asks?

I was thinking of ordering a Mojito
to get my Mojo going...
but then realise the alcohol is only for mistakes 
and not to be consumed...
Silly me.


I am then given a choice of two designs
I choose the one from the muddy pond
which has some interesting staining
and could have so come from my pond life back home
although thankfully not, these leaves are humungous.

My three boards cost me 8,000 Baht ($250 USD, $310AUD)
which includes all the paint, tuition, varnish, and boxing for transport.

I have also brought with me one of my outdoor cushions
for colour inspiration but I am pretty much going for 
green, green and more green...



And so I get started.
It's pretty simple really. 
You paint the colour on with either a sponge 
or a paint brush, one leaf at a time following the veins.
The hardest part is working out what colours you want to use,
or in my case trying to mix the right green to match the cushion.
Luckily Catherine is always on hand when help is needed.

The painting is pretty easy and relaxing and the
conversations are free flowing around the room.
Teck is offering more coffee or tea.
Everyone admires each others work.
This is my sort of painting morning.

I get as far as I can 
and decide to come back the following day to finish off.

This is what the painting looked like at the end of day one:



The next day I add some bronze highlights to my veins 
which are lightly brushed on with the corner of a sponge 
and I add a touch of definition around the edges of my leaf edges.



It is starting to rain outside, when Bangkok rains it pours.
If you want to see what happened after this class see here!
but all attention is on our artwork.
The second day there are a new and equally lovely 
group of ladies and one gent.

Here is my finished version with one coating of varnish
and Voila it's done!


I leave the second coat of varnish to Catherine 
who will let it dry and package it for the airport 
and deliver it to my hotel on Friday
I can't wait to see 
what it looks like up on my wall!

Linking with: 
Mosaic Monday
Thank you Judith
Paint Party Friday 
with thanks to Eva and Kristen




Here are the details of Himapan Gallery
I have no connections with the owners 
or received no compensation for this post:

Facebook : www.facebook/HimapanGallery
35/14 ซอยสุขุมวิท31 (ซ.สวัสดี) ถนนสุขุมวิท แขวงคลองเตยเหนือ เขตวัฒนา กรุงเทพฯ 10110
35/14 Sukhumvit 31 - Silom Village - Wattana -  BANGKOK 10110 - THAILAND.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat