Skip to main content

Chinese New Year greets Japan

We're celebrating all things Asian at our house at the moment! 
We're in the middle of our Melbourne Chinese New Year festivities and our Docklands has a humongous dragon to celebrate. It is over a 100 metres long and the head is 10 metres high. It is illuminated by 2000 light globes every night and cost $140,000 AUD. 

Last week we had three Japanese students move in for a month. A gaggle of teenage girls, all nervous smiles and bright suitcases. None of them had been to Australia before and so we are keen to show Melbourne off in it's best light. We reckon a couple of thousand light globes should do it, and we encourage them to take a look!

Docklands Dragon Corner of Bourke Street and Harbour Esplanade, Melbourne
The dragon is certainly a colourful talking point in the Docklands area, snaking along with six arches each 6m high. We spot the dragon from our friend's Dockland rooftop garden and rather bemused they explain it wasn't finished when the Lord Mayor came for the official launch, which involved just the dragons head. 

Then no doubt someone got a right rollocking as initially just the head and tail was lit before someone found all the 'on' switches. Or maybe that was when Melbourne was in meltdown and we were all told to converse energy and keep air conditioners off, otherwise the whole city was in danger of suffering electrical outages... Who knows but thankfully it all came good, as it is rather spectacular!


This dragon is part of a longer term plan to strengthen Melbourne's Chinese New Year celebrations and position the City of Melbourne as a popular Chinese destination and an Asian friendly city. I'm pleased all the lights came on, otherwise those from Hong Kong would be rather unimpressed!

Kung Hei Fat Choi Melbourne!

Our Japanese students are here to learn English and for the first time ever when I pick them up, I am handed a sheet of paper outlining their homework requirements during their four weeks in Melbourne.
It is from the Department of English Communication from the 
Women's Junior College that they attend in Tokyo.



For the host family: 

Japanese students find it difficult to produce the w sound. 

There is a tendancy (sic)that Japanese students 
don't make their lips round 
and project forward. 
Do you mind reminding the students 
to round their lips with the sound w?

Wound, woman, wood, woke, wove, way, awake
What a wonderful wedding it was!
Wren was weeping wildly...

The Docklands Dragon is the largest purpose built dragon in the Southern Hemisphere.
At our first dinner, the girls bring a selection of beautiful Japanese souvenirs, including ornate paper fans and chopsticks for every member of the family. 
'Wow, wonderful thank you'! 
I exclaim, hoping that my lips are w w w rounded... 

We're in the middle of a heatwave here, these are perfect and thoughtful gifts. I happily tuck a new paper fan in my handbag. Luckily we had a couple of nights of reasonably cool temperatures before a long run of 35 degrees + days and horribly hot nights.
When is hurt you in pain?

For the host family: 
Japanese students find it difficult to produce the ou sound. 
There is a tendancy (sic) that Japanese students 
don't drop their jaws 
and just lengthen the oo sound. 
Do you mind reminding the students 
to drop and quickly raise their jaws with the sound ou?

Rope, robe, note, node, gross, grows, post, posed
Old Wren grows cold just thinking about this

The girls bring us chopsticks, sushi is one of my favourite foods
We love hosting the Japanese girls, and will usually have 4-5 groups a year.
They are always so polite, always say my food is delicious... 
Well nearly always. 
We did have one girl who struggled with various foods. 
She who spent ages consulting her Japanese translator machine 
before declaring


I is prejudice against beans...

They are so neat and tidy, 
apart from a few long black hairs around 
we would never know they have been here. 

They are always very appreciative of all we offer. 
We generally host students who are either Nurses or Teachers on study tours. 
I thought our current students were teachers but my daughter tells me they all want to be Air Hostesses. 
Sometimes things do get slightly lost in translation. 
I need my wonderful Blogging friends Orchid Miyako and Minoru closer to help!

Every night we get homework. Tonight's homework was questions following on from their earlier English lesson about health.

When is you badly sick and in pain?
Luckily as I explained I have never been badly sick or in pain 
"touch wood*' I said. 
Silly me, whatever made me say that? 
Thirty minutes later I am still trying to  explain "touch wood*'. 
The word 'superstitious' has now crept in to my explanation and 
my jaw is being quickly raised and we are all making lots of ouuuuuu noises.

My DH walks in, he is asked 
When is hurt you in pain?
'I am lucky I have never been in real pain', he said, 'touch wood'
Ohhhhh we all cry!

*touch wood  (British, American & Australianalso knock (on) wood (American)
something that you say when you want your luck or a good situation to continue It's been fine all week and, touch wood, it'll stay fine for the weekend. We haven't had any problems with the car so far, knock on wood.

Thank you to all the hosts Arija, Gattina, Lady D, Sylvia, Sandy, Jennifer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat