Skip to main content

Life In The Fast Lane - Public Art on the road.


Today I thought I'd take you on a little DRIVE.  
Let's take Eastlink, then the new Peninsula link, 
one of my favourite trips...

Sorry it's a motorway and we can't stop.
I mean it's called a freeway here, well actually it's a tollway!
What do you call these roads where you are in the world?

These roads have Australia's longest sculpture park.
 Do your roads have Public Art to enjoy along the way?



These sculptures are designed to be viewed on the move 
but forgive me if the photos are a little blurred.

The reason these are my favourite roads 
is not the actual roads, but where they lead to... 

The Tree of Life Phil Price 
The Tree of Life is a 10 metres high wind-activated kinetic sculpture. 
The movement is gentle and rhythmic, echoing the rhythmic flow of branches in the wind. 
The large tree-like form makes reference to the eucalypt and evokes the natural beauty of the peninsula. 

Oops sorry no, I don't mean the hospital...
I've just come off the freeway to get you closer to the cool art
The leaves in the tree behind the car move
It's really clever, 
hmmm, maybe I should have taken a video?

It leads to Happiness!


I love these signs on the side of the road, 
they are the names of local places, 
The Pines written twice when you drive past at 100 km/hour (the maximum speed limit) appears to say HAPPINESS to me.


Just look at some of these sculptures

Here we have the famous Aussie Car Eating Bird...

PUBLIC ART STRATEGY Emily Floyd
Standing 13 metres high, the painted steel sculpture depicts a giant black bird ominously contemplating a worm. Drawing on aspects of the most famous outdoor sculptures, the piece describes Melbourne through its public art. 

Below is the hotel where the lights are on, but no-one's home
This one is really clever... 

HOTEL Callum Morton
Constructed of steel, concrete and glass, at 20 metres high Hotel is a large-scale model of a high-rise hotel. Positioned out of context, with no surrounding structures, the artwork appears out of place, 
as if belonging to another time and place. 
Hotel is effectively a giant folly. 
Its generic form looks like a number of places simultaneously, 
as if its identity is unstable and still moving, but never quite of this world. 


Now where we're we? 
Oh yes on the road to happiness 
and my favourite Melbourne beach escape...

I know, I know, all the best motivational quotes tell me...


It is good to have an end to journey toward; 
but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” 


DESIRING MACHINE Simeon Nelson
Desiring Machine lies as a fallen tree beside the roadway, putting new roots into the ground. 
Its silhouetted filigree lies like a decaying piece of obsolete agricultural machine, 
a relic of the human struggle to co-exist with nature. 
Designed using a Victorian floral motif, the branch-like stems are mechanical 
and perfectly symmetrical rendering them unnatural. 
This opposition of nature and machines describes our desire to control nature. 

Phew, you have no idea whizzing along saying 'What's that?' 
Now I can reply 'it's a silhouetted filigree' (....if I remember!)

You can't help but enjoy the journey when you have all these interesting things to admire out the window.

“The most important reason for going from one place to another is to see what's in between, and they took great pleasure in doing just that.” 

I mean what is this one?
It always reminds me of a woolly mammoth's tusk!

Rex Australis Dean Colls 
Rex Australis explores the transience of existence and the passing greatness of the sheep industry in Australia. The sculpture made from corten steel measures 7 x 14 x 6 metres.

These roads lead to the Mornington Peninsula,
 just over an hours drive for us. 
As soon as we get beyond Frankston, we're in holiday mode. 

I'm thinking ocean beaches, vineyards, fantastic walks, good food. The word is ESCAPE... from city life.

So when we fly pass this space rocket of a sculpture on the road,
It is exciting as to me it always signals blast off to my holiday.
We no longer have to do battle with Frankston's endless roundabouts and traffic lights...

PANORAMA STATION Louise Paramor 
Panorama Station resembles a space-station, a rocket launch-pad or a futuristic engine.

So keen as I am to get to the beach, 

I will leave you with one more quotes...


“Sometimes it's worth lingering on the journey for a while before getting to the destination.” 



Linking with - Our World  and Blue Monday.

 Thanks to our hosts: Sally our host of Blue Monday and to the hosting group of Our World Tuesday: Arija, Gattina, Lady Fi, Sylvia, Sandy and Jennifer. 
 Have a great week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat